Your kitchen designer plays an integral role in your kitchen remodel project. Ideally, there’s one person who is intimately involved throughout every step of your project, start to finish. Your relationship begins the minute you walk into the showroom, proceeding through the design process, parts and appliance specification (where accurate dimensions are critical), delivery, installation, and post-installation support.
Experienced kitchen designers provide value with every step
More than a contractor or hired expert, your kitchen designer is a trusted project management partner fully invested in your satisfaction. While it sounds great to have someone involved start-to-finish, what are the specific benefits of working with an experienced kitchen designer?
Experienced kitchen designers:
- Provide a single point of contact to facilitate communication, catch and address potential issues, and provide continuity
- Act as your kitchen project general contractor, relieving you of the responsibility of finding and coordinating vendors and contractors, accepting deliveries, scheduling tradespeople, and other details.
- Have longstanding working relationships established with manufacturers, suppliers, and tradespeople, ensuring the use of qualified workers and materials.
- Understand the nuances of the work provided by others and how each of their roles fits together. In addition, they are well-versed in problem-solving in conjunction with other professionals should anything unexpected happen.
- Make sure you get the best, longest-lasting value from your investment in your new kitchen, considering functionality, style, and aesthetics.
- Help you avoid potentially expensive or time-wasting mistakes based on their experience.
- Understand the real estate market and guide you in selecting design options and products that will stand the test of time, with resale value in mind.
- Bottom line: an experienced kitchen designer saves you time, money, and aggravation.
Experienced kitchen designers integrate a toolkit of essential skills
Kitchen designers play a critical role across various situations and must be able to combine both creative and business skills to make sure each detail falls into place. Important skills include:
- A creative eye with attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, especially listening.
- Math, drafting, layout, and computer skills to take full advantage of available tools.
- Knowledge of industry trends, best practices, and ergonomic use of space.
- The organizational ability necessary to coordinate contractors, vendors, and suppliers.
Experienced kitchen designers are involved across a wide range of tasks
Your kitchen designer keeps a close eye on all related tasks to ensure nothing is missed or falls through the cracks. Tasks include:
- Translating your expressed needs and wants into a design meeting your criteria.
- Using their professional judgment and experience to suggest modifications, alternatives, and other options that add value to your project.
- Coordinating and scheduling workers on the project, including contractors, electricians, painters, plumbers, and other professionals.
- Supervising selection, specification, and installation details for cabinetry and countertops.
- Coordinating and communicating with you to ensure your project remains within budget.
- Confirming measurements to ensure design accuracy.
- Conducting post-installation follow-up to ensure you’re satisfied with results.
- Addressing and resolving any issues discovered post-installation.
When it comes down to it, your kitchen designer’s number one goal is to be sure you’re thrilled with both your new kitchen and the process to bring your vision to reality. Beyond skills and expertise, project success is enhanced by partnering with a kitchen designer who is a good fit for your communication style and values.
For tips on selecting the right Kitchen Designer for your project, download our eBook “5 Questions to Ask When Interviewing Kitchen Designers”
Over the past 50 years, Frontier Kitchens has developed an excellent reputation in our community as a reputable, creative, and professional source for kitchen design. Our solid relationships with vendors and suppliers of high-quality cabinets, countertops, and supporting materials allow our experienced kitchen designers to create your dream kitchen.
When you’re ready to meet our kitchen designers and learn how they can help you achieve the kitchen of your dreams, contact us or drop by our showroom.